This one may be our favorite to make for a few reasons:
1. So super cheap
2. It’s fail-proof – it’s really hard to mess this one up
3. You can make the whole dish in one skillet so it’s a super easy cleanup
4. It’s gluten free + dairy free SO if you’re on a diet or need these restrictions (or even if not) it’s a yummy yummy option!
5. It takes 15 minutes until dinner is on the table
I buy most of my ingredients from Trader Joes just because they’re already prepared for me (the carrots are chopped, the cabbage is shredded, the ginger is grated) and I’m all about cutting corners.
What you’ll need:
Ground Beef (or substitute ground turkey, ground chuck)
Garlic (I use these garlic cubes from Trader Joes *see notes at the bottom)
Ginger (1 tsp of powdered ginger or 4 tbsp of fresh ginger)
2 cups of shredded carrots
2 large onions diced
One bag of shredded cabbage (or 1 1/4 cup)
For the sauce:
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Soy Sauce (I use 1 tbsp soy sauce + 1 tbsp coconut amino just to cut out the amount of soy I’m using)
1 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
Shelled Edamame Beans
1. Start browning your ground beef over medium-high heat in the skillet we’ll use for the entire recipe
2. Add the ginger and blend into the ground beef
3. Once browned turn down the heat to medium and add garlic, onions, carrots and let the veggies saute for about 8 minutes.
4. While the meat + veggies are sizzling, whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
5. Slowly add cabbage (it will start out most likely overflowing from the skillet but allow it to wilt by mixing the veggies, meat and cabbage together). Continue adding cabbage slowly until it all has been added.
6. While cabbage is being added, heat up the edamame beans if you are choosing to add these to your bowl at the end.
7. Pour the sauce over the entire mixture and mix together until blended well.
8. Serve + enjoy!
We eat these out of regular bowls and top off the meal with the edamame beans and a few more drops of sriracha and coconut amino!
If you’re a newlywed or claim to “not know how to cook” or just don’t have much time on your hands, this is FOR YOU.
*The garlic cubes are great because they’re already packaged into cubes that equal one clove and they’re easy to pop out of the package so you don’t have to mess around with the smelly garlic